SEND Local Offer

TWAPA is a multi-sited school working with primary and secondary age pupils referred from schools across Calderdale, promoting positive behaviour and providing a continuum of support for young people with behavioural, emotional and social difficulties.

Our aim is to provide all pupils with an appropriate and considered range of opportunities for them to gain personal fulfilment through learning. Taking into account the wider social and emotional needs of each pupil, all staff endeavour to transform pupils’ motivation and develop the whole child spiritually, emotionally and intellectually. We aim to provide pupils with a range of opportunities which allow them to experience achievement thus enabling them to make a successful return to mainstream education or enter into continued education and/or employment.

The following details TWAPA’s School’s Individual Local Offer (SEN Information Report as required in Schedule 1 of Regulation 51) and should be read in conjunction with the Core Offer found set out in Calderdale’s Local Offer which details the provision available in all Calderdale schools and academies.

Contact Details
 Headteacher Phillip Hannah
Telephone – School Office 01422 244181




The Whitley AP Academy

The Whitley Phoenix Centre

Moorbottom Road



 Email – School Office
 Age Range KS2 – KS4
Funding Additional funding where we have identified an additional need over and above our universal offer

Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator


Lindsey McManamin
Email – SENCo
SEN Governor John Hellewell
Polices for Identification and Assessment of Pupils with SEN
SEN Policy, Inclusion policy, Curriculum policy, Intimate care policy

Below are frequently asked questions that parents/carers may ask about provision for children and young people who have special educational needs. The information aims to be clear and easy to understand however if you prefer to talk to a member of staff, please use the phone number and or the email addresses above to contact school.

How will Calderdale Pupil Referral Unit support my child?

All pupils are assessed on entry so that we can ensure that the teaching and learning is tailored to their needs, and appropriate interventions are put into place. Where there is a need we work with external agencies such as:


Care Services

Education Welfare Officers

Youth Offending Team

Substance misuse Services


Education Psychologist

ASD Team

Speech and language team

In addition our staff are highly trained in the management of pupils with social, emotional and behaviour problems.

Each class is small, up to eight pupils with a teacher, and a class support.

Pupil Premium may be used to facilitate extra provisions.

In addition to our main site we also offer a provision for the more emotionally vulnerable at The Orangebox in Halifax.

How do we involve parents, children and young people

We provide a school newsletter once every half term which informs parents of successes and upcoming events. We make phone calls home to share successes and discuss concerns. Parents have an opportunity to meet formally at Parent/Carer’s evening and parents are also welcome to attend meetings by arrangement. We have a “Parent/Carer Voice” where we encourage parents/carers to tell us how we are doing.

“Pupil Voice” is held regularly as part of our citizenship curriculum, with all pupils contributing to finding solutions to their concerns and issues. Pupil’s work is displayed, alongside photos and activities, to encourage pride in their achievements.

How do we help a child with physical needs? The building is DDA compliant and has wheelchair accessible classrooms and toilets. Other physical needs may be identified at interview and provision made.
How do we help a child with speech and language needs? We work alongside the speech and language team, following advice for the individual pupil. We want all our pupils to use appropriate social language as a matter of course.
How do we help a child with sensory impairment? We would work with the LA’s supporting services to provide the necessary support for the individual pupil, if the need arose.
How do we help a child who has social and emotional difficulties?

Working in partnership with schools, parents, carers and the wider community we aim to promote the educational and social inclusion of our pupils. Through the delivery of a broad and balanced curriculum, we strive to maximise each pupils’ potential for further learning in addition to the development of employment skills. High quality teaching, differentiated for individual pupils is the first response for all pupils at the PRU.

Interaction with others, participation and teamwork are strongly encouraged and opportunities are delivered through a range of approaches. In addition to building on a pupil’s prior achievement, we manage behaviour consistently in a safe, supportive and stimulating environment. Staff work closely with pupils across the Key Stages to help them develop strategies to cope with conflict, anger, stress and anxiety and demonstrate the importance of acceptable and appropriate behaviour.

Where needed, referrals may be made to specialist agencies.

How do we help a child with behavioural difficulties?

How do we help a child who needs support with literacy? Literacy and Numeracy needs are assessed on entry and throughout the year. Assessment data is analysed at four points throughout the school year and teaching is targeted to fill any gaps in learning and, in addition, individual pupils may have an intervention where specific targeted work is put in place.
How do we help a child who needs support with numeracy?
How do we support a child who has medical needs? If a pupil has to take medication during school hours, we ensure it is taken on time and a written record is kept. For other issues we would follow advice and procedures identified at interview or at a subsequent meeting.
How do we help a child who has English as an Additional Language (EAL)? Pupils who have English as an Additional language may be withdrawn to receive specialist support and intervention. The curriculum would be adapted as necessary following guidance from specialists.
How do we support a child with complex and multiple needs? TWAPA would work with the LA’s supporting services to provide the necessary support for the individual pupil, as the need arose.
How will we meet a child’s personal care needs? The school has an Intimate Care Policy which gives guidance on personal care needs and specialist guidance and support would be sought as the need arose.
How will we include children in activities outside the classroom including school trips? All of our offsite trips and activities are planned to allow access for all. A risk assessment may be done on an individual pupil to ensure sufficient support is in place for them to take part. On occasion we may withdraw a pupil from an activity if we believe that they would put themselves or others at risk.
How do we prepare and support a child/young person for transition?

We do our Reintegration Readiness procedure at regular intervals throughout the year. This indicates how well a pupil is doing towards being ready to return to mainstream. The outcomes are discussed and targets set. Before a pupil transitions to mainstream or other specialist provision we meet with them to discuss concerns and levels of support required and follow the reintegration to ensure as smooth a transition as possible.

Pupils who have EHC plans or statements have their views sought and discussed as part of the reviewing process

How will we develop social skills throughout the school day, especially break times? TWAPA is a specialist provision for young pupils with social and emotional difficulties. As such we have highly trained staff that work with our young people constantly to support and nurture positive relationships with staff and peers. We have a high staff/pupil ratio to ensure maximum support and engagement, particularly at non structured times.
How do we allocate resources? TWAPA uses its resources to fund the high level of support and intervention for all pupils. If a pupil appears to need more than the universal offer, additional funding would be sought through the EHC Plan.
How do we ensure all staff are well trained? All staff undergo regular training which is linked to the School Improvement Plan. Some training is across the school and some is highly individualised and allows the staff to become more specialised in an area of interest such as dyslexia.
How do we raise awareness of special educational needs for parents and the wider community? We raise awareness through regular interaction with parents/carers through discussion and visits to the school. All parents are encouraged to participate in their child’s education through the use of Home/School books and attending school activities. We also participate in, and sometimes instigate, TAC meetings to encourage the sharing of information and good practice with regard to individual pupils.
Which specialist services do we access beyond the school? We work with specialist support agencies outside of school to support pupils and their families. See section 1.
How do we evaluate and review the support provided?

We evaluate and review support through a range of measures including Pupil Voice , Parent Voice, meetings with mainstream school, analysis of attendance and incident data, Pupil focus meetings where all staff involved meet to discuss one specific child.

Assessment data is collected and analysed at four points throughout the school year to ensure a good understanding of progress and where additional support may be targeted.

How do we deal with complaints regarding our provision for children and young people with SEN? Complaints should be made in writing to Phillip Hannah, Headteacher or to the LGB.

Contact details of support services for parents of pupils with SEN

IAS – The SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) Information, Advice and Support Service (formerly Parent Partnership Service) provides legally based, impartial, confidential and accessible information, advice and support for parents of children and young people with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities about education, health and social care. Contact details: Contact: 01422 266141

Calderdale Parents and Carers (CPC) – Meeting other parents with a disabled child can be a huge source of support for families. Many families find it helpful to meet or chat with other families who are in a similar situation to them. Contact 01422 343030

Independent Support – both the above organisations have also been commissioned by the Department of Education to deliver Independent Support in Calderdale. These will provide advice and support for parents of children with SEN, and young people with SEN, through the statutory assessment and Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) processes.

Independent Supporters will help to build resilience in families by offering a range of time-limited support such as liaison across different agencies and advice on personal budgets. The level and nature of that support will be tailored to the particular needs of individual families. Support via Independent Supporters will be available until March 2016.

For full details of the entire support provided for parents please follow the link below to Calderdale’s Local Offer:

This page is under review.